SKODA AUTO CEO Bernhard Maier and Gurpratap Boparai, Managing Director of SKODA AUTO India Private Ltd, announced details of the ‘INDIA 2.0’ project at a press conference in New Delhi on 2nd July 2018.
Highlights of press release-
- Volkswagen Group is investing one billion euros in the implementation of the project.
- One of the largest investments in the Indian Automotive sector.
- Together, SKODA AUTO and Volkswagen will develop new models for the Indian market
- The first model to appear as part of the project will be a mid-size SUV – to be showcased in 2020
- Technical development of new products will take place in India
Volkswagen Group is investing one billion euros towards the implementation of the project, primarily between 2019 and 2021. To ensure the products are perfectly suited to the Indian market, SKODA AUTO will set up an engineering centre in the country. All models designed and produced locally in India in the future will be based on Volkswagen Group’s MQB platform, which already fulfils the stricter legal requirements for India that come into force in 2020.
SKODA AUTO India Private Ltd. currently offers four models on the Indian subcontinent: the OCTAVIA, SUPERB, RAPID and most recently the KODIAQ, which was launched in October 2017. The RAPID is manufactured at the Pune plant, while the OCTAVIA, SUPERB and KODIAQ models are produced in Aurangabad where the company headquarters are located. SKODA vehicles are sold in India through 70 dealerships and 70 service centres are available to customers.