The Transformation starts with Human Resources, towards the larger enterprise, as the best products or services, don’t render the desired value, as “People”, fail to deliver.
HR Transformation – Buzz
- Why to Transform? HR leaders has to have a place in the high table to business, getting the business context and build way forward to change.
- What are the Objectives of Transformation? Business and HR Leaders to collaborate and have consensus to define the end objectives of HR transformation, which will translate to better organization capabilities resulting in higher productivities / business results.
- How to Transform HR? Redesigning the HR Ways of Work, re-engineering the HR practices, policies, processes and enhance the competencies / capabilities of the HR Workforce.
- Business Sponsorship and Business Engagement- Business and HR Leaders to have a joint Project team with line managers, employees to have a clear framework to deliver the desired outcomes.
Transformation Journey Starts with:
- Reviewing the existing WOW, Processes, Policies, Metrics, business feedback about HR
- Identifying Key areas / functions within HR requiring change on an urgent / important quadrant
- Benchmarking against renowned benchmarks like People Capabilities Maturity Model (PCMM) Framework, getting to know the existing maturity of the processes-
- Creating a HR Diagnostic heat map based on Compliances, Costs and Capabilities (Competencies + Capacity)
- Create HR Governance framework with Business Ownership across
- Initiating Engagement
- Interviews with business leaders and stakeholders
- HR Orientation session for process owners
- To have focus group discussion across levels, regions, geographies.
- Gap Analysis
- Map process with the existing practices against maturity scale
- Constructing heat map using risks areas against each area.
The HR Thermal Sensor:
Over the last five years, HR discipline has undergone a rapid revolution. In the race to go cloud, companies focused on reskilling of HR professionals, implementing analytics and focus is now on people, work and culture. Given the pace and pressure to adapt, it is not surprising that today HR’s focus has shifted towards building organization of future. Companies are reviewing their structure
- In today’s environment multinational organizations have to manage a global workforce to achieve sustainable growth. The people in the organization are the most important component to sustain business results.
- New HR technology is not meant to make the HR department more efficient, but focuses beyond HR, to increase the user experience, to add value across the business, and to improve competitiveness.
- The role of the HR professional has changed fundamentally as a result of technology. The core competencies that have developed are mastery of HR technology, strategic contribution, personal credibility, HR delivery, and business knowledge.
- Today’s HR practices has broken the geographical and cultural barriers and helped the human resources to move worldwide and to choose the best job according to their talent.
- This innovative and technological advent in HR practices has benefited both the recruiter and the job seekers and ultimately the corporate world. Introducing new technologies does not guarantee positive outcomes.
- Similarly, developments in leadership, financial resources, personal and organisational relationships, engagement with workers and families, care coordination and staff development are needed.
How will we get there?
1- Strategic Initiatives
- Adopt a new strategic workforce program
- Enable Professional development program and interventions for the HR team
- Implementing a more efficient, Data driven efficient service delivery model with Shared services
- Make the function more Talent Focussed, through HR technology platforms (Home Grown or Bought out).
2- Executing the Strategic Initiatives
This framework will enable the strategic workforce management by connecting the inter-related HR functions to an overall workforce development strategy, and executing with excellence on ground with a single point of accountability and synergising related functions as a ”Competency Of Excellence”.
While implementing the above, the organization may encounter resistance to change. The change management barriers / challenges need to be recognized and proactively mitigated, based on the appetite, history and culture of the Organization to absorb the changes. This will help organization to overcome the “Wait it out”, mentality by some stakeholders.
How to Sustain?
Some start up tasks mentioned below could serve in sustaining the transformation program:
- Governance structure with formal charters of roles, responsibilities and reporting relationships, defining collaborative management processes that are expected to participate, time commitments, with contribution towards the cause
- Defining business ownership for each and every HR interventions with investments roadmap with Data governance, learning governance and ongoing sponsorships, not limited to concept but also in on grond execution.
- Determining and rolling out standard meeting, structure, agenda and protocols with a common project management methodology with actions.
The above would provide the efficiency, Innovation, Customer service and Quality of the HR outputs.
Successful HR Transformation are multiple steps of choreographed dance sequences of “Analysis, Gaps, Build-Test, Deploy and Sustain” steps. The readiness checkpoint at the end of each phase of the lifecycle process acts as a “Circuit Breaker” to determine whether all the steps are moving forward with the desired outcomes, resulting in a “Go” decision. Each steps follows the other and repeated innumerable times, till the desired outputs are achieved.
A Successful HR transformation program gives direction and all confidence to the Business and HR stakeholders, which will be able to devote resources that best satisfy the short and long term objectives, and harvest anticipated growth for business growth and personal accomplishments in line with the visualized growth strategy of the organization.
HR Transformations are a strategic payoff in re-establishing the cost competitiveness and credibility among its stakeholders, enabling a long term strategic positioning.