An organization is a setup where individuals (employees) come together to work for a common goal. It is essential for the employees to work in close coordination, deliver their level best and achieve the targets within the stipulated time frame for the smooth functioning of the organization.
Every organization has certain values and follows some policies and guidelines which differentiate it from others. The principles and beliefs of any organization form its culture. The organization culture decides the way employees interact amongst themselves as well as external parties. No two organizations can have the same culture and it is essential for the employees to adjust well in their organization’s culture to enjoy their work and stay stress-free.
Focus is on Employee Experience
Tomorrow Employees are going for transition from one organization to another based on their experience in the organization they choose to work for. Reinventing Employee Experience – Employee experience would be a composite of;
i) Meaningful work
ii) Hands on Management
iii) Supportive Environment
iv) Growth Opportunity
v) Trust in Leadership.
Culture would be No.1 differentiating Employment Factor
As recommended by Glassdoor, correlation of employee factors to place of work would be: Culture and Values (30%), Impact of Senior Leadership (28%), Career Opportunities (22%), Work life balance (13%), Compensation and Benefits (12%). Culture and Leadership thus emerge as 3 times more important than salary. Career development and Learning emerge as 2 times more important than Compensation & benefits.
Demand for Digital Learning is Growing
As we look at the growth cycle of Learning; we see noticeable changes happening like: E Learning -1998-2002, Talent Management -2005, Continuous Learning -2010, Digital Learning 2017 and Future of Learning – Learning on Demand -2020.
Explosive growth in Micro- learning
Explosive growth in Micro- learning as against Macro learning is happening because talent wants to invest their time meaningfully and spend it over more subjects/topics for broad based knowledge acquisition in the same time. Micro learning is topic or problem based and requisite information can be sourced within 2 minutes or less as against several hours or days in case of Macro learning.
Shift from Talent Management to Team and Work Management
Team and work management in this context would mean – Optimizing Productivity, Work alignment, Connecting Network of Teams in the Organization, Improving work culture in the organization etc.
Continuous Performance Management
Continuous Performance Appraisal has arrived. Fundamental changes envisaged are:
1. From being an Annual process, it is going to be a Continuous (24X 7) process.
2. From Manager Centric process to a Team Centric process.
3. From Hierarchical process to a multi directional process.
4. From competitive to a developmental process.
5. From subjective to a data driven process.
6. From a confidential to a transparent process.
Managers of the Future
Managers of the future will be far different from those of the past-
- They must all be leaders, walking-the-talk and serving workers.
- They need to have a good grasp of new technologies.
- Embrace vulnerability, asking for help, admitting their errors, solicit the opinions of their team members.
- Believe in sharing and relying on collective intelligence rather than on the direction of one.
- Challenge convention, experiment, become “fire starters” rather than just putting out fires.
- Provide on-going, real-time recognition and feedback rather than using annual performance reviews.
- Recognize that work-life balance is critical for well-being and productivity.
Higher education and business schools in particular, will also have to align with new trends and better prepare students for actual and future challenges and job requirements (15).
CHANGING HR ISSUES OF THE FUTURE
- Leadership Thrustin: Attracting, Developing and Retaining Talent.
- Shift from Employee Engagement to Employee Experience
- Recruitment driven by Social Media and Cognitive Assessment
- Renewed focus on Productivity
- Race to Digitalize HR
- People Analytics Entering Organization Structures
The future of work- Will be largely shaped by:
- New behaviours based on social media and the web
- Powerful technologies, extending into all human activities
- The millennial who bring new attitudes, expectations and ways of working
- Growing mobility and flexibility with the possibility of working anywhere, anytime and on any technology
More and more employees are quitting their jobs and setting up their own shop, creating a real freelancer economy. Women and men of all ages seek new opportunities, but also more flexibility in organizing their work and personal life. This trend towards independence even includes high-end professionals who increasingly leave lucrative jobs.
Millennial will soon represent the majority of the workforce and will significantly impact the work environment
- They seek more autonomy, freedom, flexibility and meaning
- They rate the importance of learning and growing above salary and promotion
- Rather than being connected 24/7, they prefer clear boundaries between their work and private life
- They desire a clear definition of what is expected of them.
Leadership dynamics in Future
- Leaders to possess Agile thinking : dealing with multiple scenarios, complexity, ambiguity, and Innovation
- Harnessing Digital Business skills : Understanding of corporate I.T. Software and systems
- Global Operating Skills: Ability to manage diverse employees, Ability to work in multiple overseas locations, Cultural sensitivity, Understanding international markets.
- Relationship building: Excellent Oral & written communication, collaboration, building effective relations with customers, partners, government etc.
Bringing It All Together- Five future trends have been identified
- Employment will be scarce for people with a limited skillset, and the shortfall of talents will further intensify.
- Freelancers and millennial will dominate the workforce and significantly change the labour market.
- Successful managers of the future will be transformational leaders, challenging convention, relying on collaboration and collective intelligence.
- Automation will continue to take over jobs, but new technologies will also contribute to a more dynamic economy.
- Neuroscience will further elucidate brain mechanisms to improve management and leadership.
It is critical that we become aware of the looming future changes in all domains of Business and find responsible ways to reconcile productivity and wellbeing for all.
Reference- https://www.willistowerswatson.com/en-IN/ insights/2018/07/the-future-of-work-trends-in-human-resource-management.
Author- Brijendra Kumar Dhup has over 30 years of Industry experience in handling domains like – Human Resource Management, L&D & Administration function in number of premier organizations both in Public and Private sectors, some of the organizations are TISCO, SAIPEM, SAIL, EIL, Shiv Vani Oil & Gas Exploration Pvt. Ltd, Coal Bed Methane Project at Jharkhand as Director/VP. He has also worked in some of the prominent Institutions like FORE School of Management, New Delhi Institute of Management etc on full time basis and MDI/ NPC/AIMA as Visiting Professor. His noteworthy experience do includes Leadership Assessor with KPMG/ Adecco/ Freelancing. Currently he is Associate Consultant, Global Management Xperts a Division of Midas Consultants, Delaware, USA.