“If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.”- Maya Angelou
Technological innovation is the solution to motivate employees and retain talent in today’s scenario. From process improvement to employee experience, from communication to collaboration, from hiring to retention, technology not only helps employees to automate routine work & enhance productivity but also in being happy through better engagement
It has become a mandate for companies to embrace technology and adopt it as an integral part of their workplace and workforce strategy as technology has become an inseparable element of the modern workplace.
This rapid advancement in technology came in with many benefits like a significant increase in efficiency, uniformity, creativity, consistency, better collaboration and engagement.
“I don’t believe that classical architecture is enough to engage people anymore. They say: ‘So what else is new?’”— Peter Eisenman
Finding creative technological solutions and strategies to motivate employees isn’t easy but possible. As each individual is different and one solution or approach won’t fit all, technology helps organizations to understand individuals and plan accordingly. Companies are shifting from corporate policy to flexible policies to meet an individual’s work pattern needs and work-life balance. Embracing more tech tools in the workplace is doing all the magic.
A fully engaged workforce means reduced churn and increased organizational productivity and efficiency. For employees, their workplace should be digital, productive, competitive, adaptive, advance and safe to work. This can only be achieved through a common business goal and a defined collaborative direction. Organization and employees both have to be adaptive!
“Companies often invest a great deal to engage with and listen to customers, but often fail to do that with their employees – the people who make or break their business every day” -Michelle Glover, ROI Communication
Organizations are trying to use technology to keep their employees motivated. The mobile revolution has forever changed the way we think, work, play, connect and exist. Here’s how technology can be used to motivate employees:
- REAL-TIME: Nobody wants to know the past or future, employees of this generation talk about today and more precisely NOW. Instant feedback (Inputs, feedbacks, appreciations, recognitions, work allocation, guidance, and direction) mechanism is highly appreciated and it also improves engagement & motivation.
“Train people well enough so they can leave. Treat them well enough so they don’t have to.”-Sir Richard Branson
- ON THE GO: Increase mobility. Hand-held technology has launched a new phenomenon and that should be actively and wisely utilized. Employees should be able to remain connected regardless of where they are. This will enable them to be more flexible and plan well as per their potential and capabilities. The use of web business meetings, mobile apps, intranet, and digital employee portals can be of great help!
- APPS ARE ESSENTIAL: It’s not a trend, fad or fashion but the need. From accessing important company information or documents when not at the office, to applying for leave, from completing assessment form to playing the game, from internal newspaper to national news is all done on our palm-sized device. A workplace that is mobile-optimized will always have a competitive edge.
- ANYTIME MOMENTS: As employees become more reliant on their phones, it is more common for them to carry out tasks of all scale on mobile in those micro-moments (during a break at work, waiting for public transport) available. It’s important for organizations to plan their technological innovations and initiatives that are crisp, apt and easy to understand. Many activities, particularly learning, is slotted in during spare moments, like during travel.
- BUILD RESPONSIVE ENGAGEMENT PLATFORMS: Responsive optimization can help in measuring the engagement level by monitoring interactions and activities. By tracking and monitoring activities, organizations can design a better culture and more personalized systems that can actually cater to the individual needs and create a better work environment for them that can lead to both higher efficiency, productivity and far greater job satisfaction
- BE OPEN TO FLEXI HOURS AND WORKPLACE: There is hardly anything that an employee can do best at work and not at home or at any other place. Instead of penalizing and forcing employees to work from the office, organizations should understand and accept the immense benefits of this option if they wish to attract more employees who are happy to exist and contribute. Instead of fighting against it, organizations should enable this option with the help and the use of technological advancement. Project management tools like Asana and Basecamp or options like file sharing, cloud storage and cloud computing, in particular, are making it easier than ever for employees to collaborate from even the most remote locations.
“You cannot buy engagement. You have to build an engagement.” –Tara-Nicholle Nelson.
- VALUE YOUR EMPLOYEES AND THEIR EXISTENCE: It’s important to know your employees individually so you know what works best for each of them since there’s no “one size fits all” approach that will work now. There are tools that help organizations to understand an individual’s aspirations, training and growth needs, challenges, strengths, weaknesses, etc. Data was and will always be available, with the help of technology, the organization should analyze and strategies. Employees should feel that they will grow with the growing organization.
- USE DATA: Use IoT and AI to gather more information and logically use it to make your workplace more efficient and productive. This intelligence helps employers create the best environment to foster the highest productivity from their employees. Define professional development and growth through the use of digital technology Automating routine tasks frees up employees to perform work they find more meaningful and that definitely motivates them.
- PRACTICE GAMIFICATION: If practiced well, it shows significant improvement in employee engagement and a decrease in employee turnover. Using it appropriately can boost participation rates and increase employee motivation. It’s strategic, it’s measurable and most importantly…it’s fun!
- CUSTOMIZE EXPERIENCE: Enable employees to customize their experience with the help of technology. Be it customizable desks and workspaces to the use of wearables, let employees define and follow his own set of rules and norms that can help him stay happy. Helping employees lead happier, healthier lives is a win-win-win all the way around.
“Employees engage with employers and brands when they’re treated as humans.”-Meghan Biro
With employees spending so much time on their smartphones, being able to access all they need anywhere, the use of technology should be planned well and not implement technological tools just for the sake of it. Be strategic.
MOBILE is the KEY!
M: Mobility O: On the go B: Backbone I: Integral L: Live E: Essential
It’s evident already that companies that keep pace with emerging technology are those most likely to be the industry leaders of the future. Treat your asset in best the possible manner by helping them to be successful and they will become an integral, long term part of the winning game and team. People invest time in those that they see investing in themselves!