Amazon Yesterday, 21st August, inaugurated its largest campus building anywhere worldwide, as a continuing reaffirmation of how India continues to be a key market as well as the talent hub for Amazon. This is the only Amazon-owned campus outside the US and will house over 15,000 employees of its over 62,000 employee base in India.
- Spread over 9.5 acres and built to support more than 15,000 employees, the new campus reaffirms Amazon’s long-term commitment to India
- New campus is Amazon’s first owned office building outside the US, and is the single largest building globally
- Strengthens focus on talent in India, where Amazon has 62,000+ full-time employees, the largest tech base outside Seattle and approx. 1.55 lakh contract employees working for Amazon
- First Amazon facility to create an Alexa Pod and experiment the Inside Day 1 Alexa Skill (Beta)
- Campus is built to offer agile-based environment to maintain well-being of employees and foster inclusion
Sri. K Chandrashekar Rao, Hon’ble Chief Minister, Government of Telangana said, “Telangana is happy to host Amazon’s largest building campus in the world. Amazon has played a significant role in creating job opportunities in Hyderabad for more than a decade. This facility was built in a record time of just over 3 years, showing the ease of doing business with the Government of Telangana. It also showcases our investment-friendly policies and commitment to create a hub for high quality talent pool.”
Amit Agarwal, SVP & Country Manager, Amazon India said, “We are excited to inaugurate our largest campus building globally here in India at Hyderabad. Over these last 15 years we have invested significantly in India across 30 office spaces, the AWS APAC Region in Mumbai, 50 Fulfilment Centers in 13 states of India as well as hundreds of delivery stations and sort centres, creating nearly 200,000 jobs in India. This new Amazon campus building is a tangible commitment to that long-term thinking and our plans for India.” “I would like to thank the Government of Telangana for its investment-friendly policies and continued support that has always encouraged us to continue to invest and grow our operations here,” he added.
Thousands of employees in the campus will benefit from Amazon’s agile-based work environment, where they can select from a variety of workspaces to suit their needs. The facility features casual, collaborative workspaces, as well as private areas for concentration and confidentiality. Interfaith prayer rooms, mothers’ room, quiet rooms, showers, helipad, and an all-day open cafeteria are designed to facilitate inclusion and diversity. Every detail is aimed at improving well-being and efficiency, from Destination Control Systems to manage elevators that can move 972 people simultaneously, to 290 conference rooms and 3 scrum areas per floor to foster collaboration.