According to media reports, Google employees have been protesting against poor work conditions and job cuts. The employees have been protesting in the US this week.
Google employees are protesting due to labour conditions for sub-contracted workers and to support thousands of their recently laid-off co-workers.
As per the employee’s claim, the pay and benefits are far below the company’s minimum standards and benefits for direct contract workers.
The employee conducted one protest at the company’s headquarters in California and other at Google’s corporate offices in New York. There are 50 employees that are protesting near Google store on Ninth Avenue.
According to Bloomberg reports, Devor, who is also an Alphabet Workers Union (AWU) member further said: “Today shows that some of the issues we’re talking about affect all workers regardless of what their actual job title or job status is”.
At a rally in California, dozens of sub-contractors spoke out against what they called substandard working conditions, including “poverty wages and no benefits.”
Recently, CEO Sundar Pichai & Senior Executives have also announced take pay cut as part of the company’s cost-cutting measures.
Google CEO Sundar Pichai clarified that the supposed cut would be a very significant reduction in their annual bonus.
This has come as a clarification when CEO Sundar Pichai was questioned during a town hall meeting on how senior staff like him will take responsibility for the mass layoff.
Recently, Google also delayed the Year-end bonus checks for employees due to the transition to a new performance management system.
Google initially pays an 80% advance bonus to eligible employees. The advance bonus paid in January and the remaining 20% in March or April. However, the company pays full bonuses in the year’s first month.
“After 2023, the full bonuses will be paid in March, “the company said in the memo. The decision follows when recently, Google parent Alphabet announced the sack of 12,000 employees.