The central government has approved 60-day special maternity leave for women central government employees in case of stillbirth or death of an infant within a few days of birth.
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions said, “The matter has been considered in consultation with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Keeping in view the potential emotional trauma caused due to stillbirth or death of a child soon after birth, which has a far-reaching impact on the mother’s life, it has now been decided to grant a special maternity leave of 60 days to women central government employees in case of death of a child soon after birth/stillbirth….”
These orders shall apply:
- To government employees appointed to the civil services.
- Posts in connection with the affairs of the Union of India.
- It is applicable by Rule 2 of the Central Civil Services (Leave) Rules 1972 with effect from the date of issue of this order.
According to the order it covers the following points:
- The decision has been taken keeping in view the potential emotional trauma caused due to the stillbirth or death of a child soon after birth, which has a far-reaching impact on the mother’s life.
- The DoPT said it has been receiving several references/queries requesting clarification pertaining to the grant of leave/maternity leave in case of the death of a child soon after birth/stillbirth.
- The condition for death of a child soon after birth may be defined as up to 28 days after birth, said the order issued to all central government ministries/departments. A baby born with no signs of life at or after 28 weeks of gestation may be defined as stillbirth.
- The benefit of special maternity leave shall be admissible only to a female central government servant with less than two surviving children and for child delivery only in an authorized hospital.
In case a maternity leave has already been availed by a female central government servant and her leave continues till the date of expiry of the child soon after birth/stillbirth, the maternity leave already availed till death of the child may be converted into any other kind of leave available in her leave account without insisting for a medical certificate and a special maternity leave of 60 days may be granted from the date of expiry of the child soon after birth/stillbirth, the DoPT said.
In case the maternity leave has not been availed by a female central government servant, 60 days of special maternity leave may be granted from the date of expiry of the child soon after birth/ stillbirth, it said.
The Centre has decided to grant a 60-day special maternity leave for women Central government employees in case of stillbirth or death of an infant within a few days of birth, an order by the Department of Personnel and Training (#DoPT) said.— Sachin Pal (@Sachin_191102) September 3, 2022
Source: TH #health pic.twitter.com/PIDAFSJa3V
The authorized hospital is defined as a government hospital or private hospital empanelled under the Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS).
In case of emergency delivery in non-empanelled private hospitals, production of emergency certificates is mandatory, the DoPT order said.
The past cases, wherever settled in respective ministries/departments, need not be reopened, it added. To check the order copy click here.